Pullinger Perpetual Mousetrap
A wood and metal contraption with two compartments holding grain as a lure and central entrance so that two or more mice could be humanely trapped and released outside, with label pasted on the side with instructions on how to use.
It was made locally at Selsey by the inventor Colin Pullinger (1814-94), the son of a carpenter. Pullinger was a man of many talents as his trade card describes he was also an accountant, builder, baker, undertaker, clock-cleaner, tax collector, cooper, farmer, fisherman, glazier, locksmith, umbrella repairer, navigation teacher, clerk to the Selsey Police and clerk to the Selsey Sparrow Club. He is credited with making two million humane and perpetual mousetraps, which were exhibited at international exhibitions in London and Philadelphia. His factory in Selsey employed 40 men and boys using horse powered saws and drills to turn out the mousetraps; making him in those the largest employer in the town. Sadly the business dwindled when Pullinger was in later life by the competition from cheaper mouse traps.
"The Sussex County Magazine" by J.C. Bristow-Noble circa 1932.