Skip to main content Skip to main navigation

Pinks of Chichester

By Pat Saunders

By Pat Saunders, Volunteer at the Novium Museum

Pinks Ltd were a much loved and well-known local soft drinks firm producing bottled ginger beer, lemonade and soda water and a range of fruit squashes. Many of today's residents will still recall the Pinks fizzy pop of their school days.

The business was started by Anne Pink in 1890 and was based at Melbourne Road, Chichester. The company began when Anne Pink started brewing Pinks Ginger Beer.

Anne had married James Pink in about 1872. Both Anne and James originally came from Hampshire with James being born at East Meon (c1846) and Anne being born in Hursley (c1849). Anne and James had four children, Edith Maria, Winifred Kate, Arthur Gear and Walter G. All four children were born in Portfield, Chichester.

In 1871, prior to their marriage James was listed as living in St. Pancras. At the time he was working as a maltster (someone who brewed beer, or prepared malt for brewing). In 1881 the family was living at 12 Florence Lane and both James and Anne were listed as working for a brewery, likely to have been Atkey's East Walls Brewery. By 1901 Anne and James had relocated to 20 Melbourne Road.

The company remained in the family for many generations. In 1901 Arthur, the couple's first son was listed as 'Ginger Beer Manufacturer'. He married his wide Margaret in about 1904. In the 1911 census he and his mother are described as 'Mineral Water Manufacturers'. Arthur was an enthusiastic member of Priory Park Bowls Club. James Pink unfortunately died at the age of 68 in 1912, however Anne lived considerably longer.

The 1920s saw Pinks buy out their main local competitors the mineral water manufacturer Chitty's. Frederick Chitty had sadly passed away in 1916.

The logo for Pink's Ginger Beer and Lemonade was "None Nicer", and was true to its word. It could be bought in supermarkets locally until the late 1970s thereafter it seemed to be just available in pubs.

Aside from soft drinks Pinks had also experimented in vinegar, nuts and confectionary. In the 1930s the family also had a potato crisp factory in Westhampnett Road.

In 1986 the firm moved to larger premises at Birdham Road to make way for sheltered housing. The chairman at this time was Jeremy Goodyer-Pink, great-grandson of the founder.

Arthur Pink died aged 102 on 23 December 1978 in Chichester and had then been living at Isola Bella, 79 Spitalfields Lane.

Inside Pinks Factory (P3144) Inside Pinks Factory (P3144)
Outside Pinks Factory (P3146) Outside Pinks Factory (P3146)
Workers Outside Pinks Factory (P3147) Workers Outside Pinks Factory (P3147)
Pinks Bottles Pinks Bottles
Pinks Crate Pinks Crate
Thumbnail image of Inside Pinks Factory (P3144)
Thumbnail image of Outside Pinks Factory (P3146)
Thumbnail image of Workers Outside Pinks Factory (P3147)
Thumbnail image of Pinks Bottles
Thumbnail image of Pinks Crate
1 of 5