At some time between 1837 and 1840, The Grange was on Tower Street. The Grange was a Victorian building described as a Gothic fantasy, inspired in design by the likes of Horace Walpole and Sir Walter Scott. It incorporated building materials and internal features salvaged from older demolished properties. A number of the wonderful carved fixtures and fittings from The Grange now reside in The Novium Museum's collections. This oak staircase balustrade, and treads and risers were decorated with cherubs, birds, including a hooded hawk, fruit, flowers, and a bat. The hand rail has been carved in the shape of a serpent. The staircase was designed in the English style of the mid-17th century, although it is believed the serpentine handrail may have been added at a later date when the staircase was installed within The Grange.